JRob37
@11Tenths
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i - Alpine White

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335d & X5 xDrive35d for Xmas!?

The long anticipated 2009 BMW 335d Sedan and X5 xDrive35d SAV are finally available to order! Production starts in November and the finished product will begin arriving at South Bay BMW by mid December.

In 1998 a BMW race-tuned 320d sedan won the 24 hours of Nürburgring demonstrating endurance, performance and fuel economy. Currently in Europe, more than 65% of new vehicles sold are diesel powered. Now BMW is setting its sights on the US market with the introduction of two dynamic turbo-diesel models.

It was a BMW Advanced Diesel with Blue Performance technology that won the “2008 World Green Car of the Year” award and it is these same BMW diesels that finally achieved compliance with emission standards in all 50 US States to clear the way for US production. All without compromising the performance for which BMW is renowned.

Winner of the prestigious “International Engine of the Year Award” and Ward’s “10 Best Engines” for 2008, the 3.0 liter sequential twin-turbo inline-six cylinder diesel power plant produces 265 hp, 425 lb-ft of torque and both vehicles have an incredible highway range of over 580 miles on a single tank of fuel.

Earlier this year I had an opportunity to test drive both the 335d Sedan and X5 xDrive35d and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. “I’ve got to have one” is more in line with my feeling. I remember well the slow, stinky, carbon covered diesels of yesteryear; these are not your daddy's diesels. Carbon emissions are down 10% - 20% from comparable gasoline vehicles, and there’s a near-elimination of both smoke and NOX emissions. I actually stuck my nose to the tailpipe and it smells more like a dryer vent then an exhaust pipe.

The 335d leads the field with EPA fuel economy of 23 MPG city/36 MPG Highway making it the most fuel efficient BMW and highest EPA MPG rated 6 cylinder, gas or diesel ever offered in the US market. Despite this level of economy, the 335d performs as well or better than many of the leaders in the category accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 6 seconds. This tops both the Audi A4 3.2 and the Mercedes C350.

The BMW X5 xDrive35d, like the 335d is a category standout. The Advanced Diesel SAV achieves an EPA rating of 19 MPG city/26 MPG Highway and still accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds, making it faster and more fuel efficient than any diesel SUV in the US.

The 335d and X5 xDrive35d have the same standard feature and option profile as the 335i and X5 xDrive30i. Active steering is not available on either diesel model. Demand will be high and allocation low. ED is not available at this time, but should be soon.