08-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #2272
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I don't think GIAC or any flash tuner has any issue with top end boost. They just tune the engine at the limit of detonation (probably a bit safer than that) for a given octane, and that combination of boost and advance they found to be the maxium knock-free combination. I don't think you can run high boost and high ignition advance at the same time at that RPM. With piggybacks they can raise the boost to like 16psi on top but the ECU pulls the ignition advance to lower values by detecting knock, I don't think I saw logs with 16psi on top and 14 degrees of advance (with pump gas).
Obviously high boost+high timing+high rpm (i.e. aggressive tuning) requires high octane and the DME will do what its "programmed" to do or NOT to do as a response to set requested parameters. It is most certainly a challenge for any N54 flash to arbitrarily raise boost past 5300rpm, it is not easy at all from what I've seen with a Stage 3 alpha map I'm testing. They are working on it and I'm sure they'll figure it out but its not simple at all like it is with the piggies. Some of the logic is buried deep into the N54 ROM and requires a significant amount of time and wizardry almost to find and reprogram. Its easy enough to raise load to stock+X but there are many things to take into account as the rest of the DME logic will just tell your settings to F* off and close the throttle blade not allowing that boost to go through to the engine...Digging out the "why" is the tricky part

To you I'd suggest not making bold assumptions like that especially when they're incorrect...having said that, i've been guilty of the same in the past so I'm also working on it
Appreciate 0