View Single Post
      08-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #465
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

Some heads up on the maintenance of these cars for present and future reference.

Last week I had my valve clearance checked and the scheduled oil service. All is good, no valves had to be adjusted. I am just a few km shy of 40K.

I asked about the several problems regarding the engine to my mechanic and he said that all those problems are due to poor maintenance. So, here's how the 320si should be maintained:

1. Oil change every 9.000-10.000 km AT LEAST with Castrol Edge 0-40
2. Valve clearance check every 40.000km and adjustment if necessary
3. ABSOLUTELY gas over 95 octanes. I use 97 octanes (Shell VPower).
4. ABSOLUTELY proper warm-up. The cylinder block is made out of aluminum. Although aluminum is light, it is NOT very resistant to rapid temperature changes. So if the oil in the engine is not warmed up properly and you rev it high...you will probably crack the cylinder, especially if the above had not been met (i.e. proper oil in the car). Temperature brings me to the next point...
5. Check cobalt's posts a few pages back (page 17). Make sure your car works at around 85-93 C (check it through the secret menu) and not below. If not, replace the thermostat.
6. Check if you belt tensioner needs to be replaced. There was a recall done by BMW for some 320si's.

There are si's here that have over 200.000km on the clock, so proper maintenance is key!

I know that some of you guys are in very cold climates, so if you rev the car when the engine is not properly warmed-up then you might have issues.

Last edited by Nikos120i; 08-20-2012 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0