View Single Post
      10-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #73
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post
@GeorgiaTech335coupe: Rebuilding the engine with forged internals and machining the cylinders is as expensive as buying a very low mileage long block and installing it. But with rebuilding engine it will not be as reliable as a used one in my opinion. Machining or replacing the sleeve is an option that I'm afraid to take.

Sorry for your loss, the failure has exactly the same pattern as mine.
Building the engine with upgraded internals is A LOT more expensive than buying a low mileage engine and dropping it in. You can get used low mileage long blocks for about $4000. That is about what the upgraded rods and pistons cost. Not to mention you still have to pay for the machine work, assembly, new bearings (expensive), all the misc bolts, injectors. Plus you might as well do all the head stuff since it's open. That's a few grand right there.

Not to mention the downtime is far longer. Buy a used block and you can be up in a couple weeks.

If I could go back in time, I probably would've just found another used long block and dropped it in. Oh well, I'm married to the project now.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0