05-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBri View Post
Bump for anyone able to recommend a reputable E90/92 tuner in MI.
No reason to really do a custom tune. Get the manifold (if you're going that route [also if you find a spare for reasonable $$, drop me a line, I'm in SE MI too]) and then go to Active Autowerke's website to look up where the nearest shop is that can do their tune. Whatever shop it is (generally) doesn't matter, because they all (are supposed to) take a snapshot of your ECU (and include a list of any performance-related mods) and send that to AA, who will map it out based on their own algorithms that they've found work best for N52 setups, then send it back to the local tuner, who just uploads it to your car. I don't know if/how much the tuners charge for this service.

If you want a custom tune, you should probably post in the local MI area forum sub-section to see who people recommend (if anyone goes that route). I suspect most people with 335s just get a JB4 kit, most 325/328/330 people get an AA or EuroCharged tune, because they're usually best bang for the buck, and they're used so wide-spread that they've got the experience with the engines (I hope!).

Also, if doing an AA tune, you can pay $350 and they'll send you your own firmware uploader/downloader/programmer, so in the future if your ECU gets flashed back to factory for whatever reason, or you want to flash/unflash your car, you've got that capability. That's what I'm hoping to save up for.

FYI:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634855 <-- more info on the Active Autowerke tune/flash/setup. If it's not there, it sounds like they're good people to deal with, who are generally receptive to questions, so no reason to not drop them a line.