View Single Post
      08-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #72
bmrowe
Private
Rep
Drives: 740i black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Are you sure of this? As far as I understand this depends on the sensitivity of the subs. Some have said that the sensitivity of the stock subs is quite a lot and upgrading subs in fact would decrease the sensitivity resulting lower volume of the subs tha what are the stock subs. Can you provide some more data for me to verify that the bass volume due upgrading subs would increase rather than decrease?

I would hope the volume to stay in line with the stock volume,so that the upgrade would just result in hearing the low frequencies that the stock subs are not able to handle. However, I have been told by some (non-experts though) that I would need to purchase an upgraded amp for the subs to produce the same in-line volume to go along well with the other speakers. Thanks for any info.
There is no way the stock amp could run any subs but its own OEM ones. Once you upgrade the amp, and start pushing a lot of power through the new larger subs, they are most likely going to push more sound and therefore be louder. If you upgrade the sub/amp and keep the nice balance the car has now, I don't think you would get the performance you are desiring unless you replace some of the main speakers too. However, if you simply upgrade the sub/amp and tweak it so it puts out the same dB level but is just more refined than stock, it would still be an excellent balanced system.
Appreciate 0