04-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #24
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I don't think the some total of knowledge comes from the academic community (having been a former member). We can discern cause and effect relationships, and in fact have. The fact is all common rail injected vehicles exhibit a higher level of deposit buildup - diesels just happen get it worse than gas engines. Also, let's separate the detection of CBU and its presence. CBU is not a problem in any engine until airflow restriction becomes measureable. For some owners, that could take quite a long time. And yes, maintenance, oil and fuel quality, driving style, and even local humidity can play role.
Not proving it on a molecular level, which should be easy if there is a cause found, will lead us to conjecture and hyperbole. Science is science, you cannot avoid it if you want truth.

Quote:
Not sure finding the answer on a "molecular level" is pertinent. The contention that it is fuel based maybe true, but likely irrelevant when it comes to an individual implementing a solution. Many of us have very few options when it comes to selecting the diesel we put in our vehicles. Therefore the countermeasure cannot be fuel based. There is conclusive evidence of what causes CBU on a macro level. So, why not deal with the problem on that level?
If you read my statement carefully, I did not exclude "macro" solutions to CBU, and I did not discount CBU either. I did say that some of the "macro solutions" don't have data to support them. Realistically, the data on how many cars get CBU isn't there. A mechanic will tell you "all cars get it eventually" but they don't take apart every car on the road, just the ones that come in for problems.

Typically, posters will think anyone who disagrees with something by not belonging to the "status quo beliefs" on a discussion board will be opposed and thought to be against everything that is said. Just read threads on "lubricity" to find that once a belief occurs, many will see what they want to believe in the data and not have any doubts.

I've had two direct injection diesel cars go over 150,000 miles - one now with 240,000 miles and still no sign of CBU. How does one explain this rationally? I've expressed interest in knowing why.

PL
Appreciate 0