View Single Post
      05-05-2015, 01:07 AM   #34
brando1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Many believe, after looking at the data, that CBU is a regional issue. This would imply that the base stock, which often comes from one or two refineries to all brands, may be at fault, or at least something else such as climate or driving style for each region.

Each brand of fuel, however, uses its own additive package and has its own terminals, although its not uncommon to get fuel from a different brand's terminal when its economically feasible.

I got the word straight from an engineer at Marathon (last month) that they use, at least in their gasoline, STP additive. He also verified that additives are put in at the terminal, not at the refinery. If you search through the ASTM/SAE literature, additives in diesel are not thought to be good while transporting through the pipeline or at the refinery. It apparently mixes with other types of fuel that use the pipeline and is not otherwise economically feasible.

I have no idea if brand name fuel is necessarily better than "off-brand" but can only use inductive reasoning to say that BMW, as a reputable company, would not put anything but brand name, top-tier fuel in their test vehicles.

PL
I appreciate your input, but question your hypothesis. I'm curious how the quality of diesel contributes to CBU in the intake / intake ports. The fuel never reaches those areas, unless it's implied that increased soot is the bi-product of lessor quality diesel, hence increasing the chances of CBU via EGR?

Further, as we all know, the N54 guys are battling CBU as well. Since those engines don't have to combat soot, one would suspect that while the prevention of EGR is good for our diesels, it's only half the equation. To completely eliminate the chances of CBU of any kind, one needs to eliminate the EGR, and take steps to reduce oil from finding its way into the intake manifold, correct?

Thanks,

Brando
Appreciate 0