05-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #44
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Wait I'm confused, who believes that cbu is a regional issue and why? Regional within the US or regional worldwide?
Yeah, its mentioned in passing by those interested in statistics - there seem to be clusters of CBU problems.

Its likely more in the US, but my French nephew mentioned Peugeot (or Renault?) diesels that are primarily driven in the city seem to get it - (he was captain of a large merchant ship and takes apart diesel motors for fun) so a good thrashing may be what it needs once in a while...

I'm fairly certain that anyone that gets CBU and reports it that uses primarily brand name diesel would have mentioned it, but most don't, so inductive reasoning reveals they most likely use "off brand" fuel - a common thing among diesel owners, many of whom believe that "diesel is diesel." I've read one conversation that brand name diesel has better filters at the stations, but its only a rumor. Additives, as the papers I mentioned imply, used at the terminal do seem to make a difference, sometimes causing problems of carbon deposits. Most of the posters don't report whether they use additives or not - to me, likely from a belief that additives can do no wrong, and that reporting them would not fit their mental picture of CBU.

PL
Appreciate 0