View Single Post
      08-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #28
jonathansbmw
Rep
Drives: 3 series

I'm bringing back this old thread.

I too have a story regarding Continental DW tires. I had OEM Bridgestone Run Flat Potenza re050a tires on my car (UTQG rating 140). The Bridgestone Potenza rears lasted 39K miles (yes 39K) and the front could have gone much longer. I replaced the Bridgestones with non-run flat Continental DW tires (UTQG rating 340).

One would think that the new Continentals with a 340 UTQG rating would last about 2.4 times the Bridgestones with their 140 UTQG rating right (340/140=2.4)? But no, at my current tread wear rate, I'm estimating I'll only get 18K miles out the Continentals or less than 1/2 of what I got on the Bridgestones.

This is backwards! Note that I'm talking about Continental DW high performance summer tires and NOT the DWS the all season model. Given some of the comments here, has Continental done anything about this?

And as I found out more recently, Consumer Reports reviewed the DW tires and ranked them only "Fair" in tread life saying "A very good choice if tread life is a lower priority" contradicting the high 340 UTQG rating again so there definitely is an issue here . Comments? Thanks.
Appreciate 0