View Single Post
      02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #1738
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90raw View Post
Thank you for getting back.....and thanks for the patience. I know you get alot of questions. I reviewed your website. If I purchase a carnuba wax, can I apply and remove by hand? I have always waxed/dewaxed my vehicles along the cars "lines". Is this proper? Does the dealership use sealants, etc when they prep the car, and if so, what effect will this have on my care, and when will this wear off. My car is a 2011 brought into service in May 2012.
Glad to help out so no worries at all.

Generally speaking dealerships, even high end ones, often use very generic detailing supplies that will not protect very long (maybe 1 - 2 months). Each place varies so I'm not sure what they use for protection. Generally they are focused on speed, cost of supplies and making the car look good for a few days. Dealerships sometimes use products with heavy fillers to help hide fine imperfections when a customer picks up their car. Anything they applied would be long gone by now. A good wax, which most dealerships do not use, will last about 1 - 2 months and a good sealant will last 4 - 6 months in my experiences. If you want to be extra safe making sure no protection is left on the surface wash with the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. This citrus based shampoo removes old sealant and wax.

You can apply sealants and waxes with the "lines" of the car or in a circular motion generally speaking. Assuming you have properly cleaned the surface and you're using paint safe supplies (applicator and towels) it shouldn't have much impact. You can apply sealants and waxes and get very similar results to what a buffer would do. Polishes are the step where you really want the added power of a buffer.

If you need any recommendations please don't hesitate to ask! Don't forget we have 20% off through 2/15 with the code VDAY13. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0