Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthony3210 View Post
I feel the exact same way towards the Xenon package. The Angel Eyes/Halos are BMWs Bread & Butter. Why make that an option? To be honest, I could care less about the HIDs, I just want the Angel Eyes/Halos to be standard. Does anyone else agree?
Personally I love the angel eyes; however, that is not my main issue. Both MB and BMW put sub-standard/inadequate lights in their base lighting package (MB is probably worse here). IMO this was a conscious decision, to make the upgraded lights more appealing and thus the up-charge. Up until I think last year, you needed to buy the whole premium 2 package (at $6k ish) to get xenon head lights in an E350, and the standard lights (even with P1) are just plain crap. Audi on the other hand charges for their LEDs but the standard lights without the LEDs I believe are good.

Sure the Angel eyes are a defining feature for BMW's styling. They are awesome period. I just don't think world class manufacturers should be putting substandard parts in their cars at all, it simply makes the whole brand look bad. Hell, the OE bulbs for an E350 are a whopping $6.30 on parts.com. A set of Sylvania (OEM for many other car makers) almost triples the amount of light produced for something like $20. I have no other explanation for why MB would make the decision they did other than intentionally wanting them to be weak (btw, the xenon bulbs are $124.80 each). I don't have as much experience with BMW, but from what I have read, they appear to be similar.
I agree! Especially for the fact the xenon are even cheaper then the $124 you stated now. I had one of my bulbs recently go out and replaced both with OEM Osram for $100 for the pair. Not bad and for a car maker in this class at this price HIDs should absolutely be standard.