View Single Post
      05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #152
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

This kind of sucks. You would think that they should have this information available to them!

Maybe I'll give Eibach a call since I'm not too far away!

The most important thing is that you are comfortable with your car. Pick something that will make you happy, after all, it is your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast! View Post
I called Eibach and spoke with one of their tech guys, Phong.

He wasn't able to give me any specs on the springs regarding weight tolerances or spring rates. All he told me is that each set of springs is meant to support the maximum vehicle weight (GVWR) specified by each manufacturer. He couldn't tell me whether these i-specific springs could support more than the maximum weight specified by BMW for a 335i.

I told him that numerous folks have been using these i springs on their xi's and he said although they may fit, he couldn't give me a definitive answer on whether they're to correct specifications. He did mention that if enough folks showed an interest, Eibach would try and develop a set specifically for the xi. Since they're in SoCal they haven't had any takers thus far, but he told me that if anyone out there has an xi Eibach may be willing to use it as a test mule and you'd get a free set of springs out of it. Just give Eibach a call at 1-800-507-2338 and ask for Phong...he's one of the spring techs.

I'm now leaning towards going for a set of the H&R coilovers. I talked to a local Bimmer tuner shop and they said it wouldn't really cost a whole lot more to install them, and for a marginal $1000 extra I'd get a matching set of new struts. The guy I talked to and another posting on here are also pretty sure Bilstein actually makes the struts for the H&R coilovers.

Nothing against you guys that went with these springs because they do look awesome, but for the piece of mind I just can't pull the trigger. If I'm going to support $50,000 worth of car on a $250 set of springs, I need to at least know the manufacturer has tested them on my car.
Appreciate 0