View Single Post
      11-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Has anyone achieved the above or is working towards one?

I'm thinking of doing a self study in one - but not sure where to start!

I'm getting a bit tired of being self employed now and am beginning to long for a 'Normal' life again. Normal hours. Paid holidays. Guaranteed income etc etc.

I know it's hard out there for allot of people and the job market is somewhat saturated - but IT will always have jobs for good candidates - and without sounding big headed, I would put myself in that bracket. I've previously worked upto a server support level for some big companies: Car manufacterers, banks and oil companies. I have the experience, but no 'professional' qualifications. So, I've been toying with the idea of doing a MCITP.

Back in my days, about 7 years ago, we used to just have a MCSE. Now, there's loads. What would you say is the best for someone to go into a server/application support environment? There's a bit of catching up to do, going by some of the jobs I've had sent to me (still on some mailing lists) - stuff like Sharepoint, VMWare, server 2008 (only used 2003), SQL stuff -which I never had to deal with.

Thanks in advance for any help, tips and suggestions.
I too started off in this field and like yourself only knew of the MSCE/A. I got a few books but never followed it up in the end and ended up in a different field. The thing i found with the Microsoft certs was, you need to have Citrix with them and then Virtualisation also, sharepoint is good too.

Things may have moved on but i just found one type was not enough on its own to be pulling in good money in a contract.
Appreciate 0