View Single Post
      03-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #1567
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
My apologies if this has been addressed already.

Anyway I have a couple spots (bird crap) on my '11 335d. I hand wash it once a week and noticed a couple spots where the paint is slightly hazy where bird crap had been on the car. I picked up a med grit clay bar (clay magic) and also the recommend clay lube (49 body shine). I was very liberal with the spray as I used the clay bar on the 2 spots.( this is after I hand washed the car)

It left some very fine scratches where I used the clay bar.

How do I go about properly removing these fine scratches?

Thanks for any help.
Jason
Jason,

Sorry to hear about the bird droppings. In general I only recommend the fine grade bar combined with a wash for these situations. A medium grade bar is more commonly used for excessive tar, paint overspray, etc., because they are prone to marring the paint. To remove any ultra fine scratches or etches from bird droppings I would use the same polishing process. Start off with a light polish and use a more aggressive one as needed. So I'd suggest starting with the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and moving up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 as needed. After the surface is clean apply a few small drops on a foam applicator and buff it on with medium arm pressure or use a buffer ideally. As soon as you are done you can wipe away the polish with a clean microfiber towel and inspect the results. If it's not enough move up to the M105 with medium to firm pressure in a circular arm motion. That should take care of the marks if not a buffer will need to be used with these same polishes before moving up to a wet sanding but hopefully neither is necessary. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0