View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Sorry, typo on my part. There was supposed to be a might in there. Which I have fixed.

Regardless of the cause of Friday's events, tragic as they are, I do support our constitutional rights. Even when they make my job harder. Or I don't get my way. The alternative is frightening. This is a classic example of don't let one bad apple spoil he bunch. Of course, I wonder how I'd feel if this had happened closer to home?

You hit it on the head earlier when you said finding a way to keep people safe is the answer. Would one armed, trained, motivated citizen in that theater changed the outcome? Should we institute TSA like screening processes wherever people gather? Mind control? Gun bans? Each of these has their downfalls.
Its pretty easy to see both sides. It is also easy for me to see the rest of the worlds point of view on America. This latest shooting has really disturbed me. Its as if society is becoming so desensitized to this kind of event. Ive been living in Spain for 2 years now. In that time I have had the misfortune of logging onto my work computer to see news stories of mass shootings no less than 6 or 7 times. It has become absurd. Like a monthly event.

I then think about the time I have been in Spain, how many violent crimes I have heard about...none. A handful of muggings and break ins, but that is it.

It occurred to me then why the rest of the world thinks we are crazy...especially when THIS kind of news is the only kind of news that leaves our shores. They don't read about the good humanitarians that save someones life. Or the charity work that happens. Or any of the good people trying to make a difference in the US/world.

Its been eye opening living and traveling abroad....noting how different areas react to and treat Americans. I have made some friends. Without doubt locals are always hesitant to open up or talk to us, but usually quickly find out that we are for the most part good people, and just like anyone else out to try to find their way through life. It hurts me that the worlds point of view on us is based on celebrity culture, Jersey Shore, and the news that makes it to their land.

No doubt we are also unique, with our views of things like guns, health care, and taxes. But that is the country we live in. We were born into this. It is our history (yes i know it is a short one unlike the rest of the world) and our culture. And unfortunately another thing bred into us is this ridiculous notion of being the best. That the American lifestyle is the only lifestyle. People don't realize that other countries are just as modern, beautiful, and "free" as us. Ask the average person who has never left the borders what they think living in XXXXX country is like and the answers will make you want to smack yourself. However, this is also how the rest of the world responds to us. Take a trip, befriend an American. See that we are truly good people and the most of us are just trying to make our way, support our family, and enjoy life.

Back to the guns though....i fear to think what would happen if they tightened up even more on gun control. As said before, its not the presence of guns that causes this. It is society. Yes I will admit....American society is fucked. We are media driven, easily programmed, and losing our way. This guy that shot up the theater THOUGHT he was the Joker. Someone that mentally ill will do what they want and nothing will get in the way. Guns kill people...yes. I said it. However people use guns to shoot people. Someone makes that decision to pull the trigger and kill. The gun just makes an easier quicker job of it. However if they made that decision with a gun in their hand, they would have done the same with a knife. Even if the shooter had no access to guns, he sure as shit knew how to make bombs, and probably would have just done that instead.

I think part of this problem, IS the fact that there is such a negative stigma placed on carrying a firearm, concealed or otherwise. People are afraid to fight back. People don't stand up for themselves or others like they used to. People will sit there and take it. Its the pacifist nature that the government is trying to push us to. Well, guess what. It doesn't work. If the bad guys know that no one will put up a fight...what is to discourage them?

Just YESTERDAY....my parents neighbor, shot an intruder who had broken into her house. The lady was a 68 year old retired school teacher. Breakins have been rampant in this neighborhood for months. If people get away with something, they will only repeat it until something different happens. Well this lady stood up for herself. Go figure she was from a generation that didn't take shit from others, and damn sure didn't back down.

Go to a state like Texas and see how often something like this happens. They have the most liberal gun laws. To say they are gun friendly would be an understatement. Well guess what. Before a criminal car jacks someone you don't think that they might wonder if they are protecting themselves?

Just as easily as guns kill, they save lives and PREVENT violence. You just don't hear about it.

I realize none of you will read that cause I wrote a damn novel but I feel better so its all good.
Appreciate 0