03-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #157
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
I just used a short ratchet and short extension with an E10 (or was it E12) socket. All the bolts were easy to reach. For the top, I just put my hand in (with tools) from the front area where the radiator hose goes through. Then my other hand went in where the general area of the pump is (where the other two bolts are) to guide the E10 socket onto the bolt. No problems loosening/tightening that bolt. My hands are not baseball gloves big, but they aren't small either (wear a size large glove).

The problem I had was with the large and small hoses that have the rigid plastic collar. Pain in the ass getting both off. Spent more time on those things than anything else. Getting both back on was a pain too. With the small one, I heard a distinct click and feel pretty assured that it is on there correctly. With the large one, I had to push real hard with a large screwdriver all around it, never heard a click....but visually checked where I can the the grooves on the t-stat lined up with the rigid collar before letting the clip down. Pulled real hard on both the hose and they booth seem to be secure.....or maybe I am just not pulling hard enough. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I leak check it, but with my luck it probably won't do anything bad till it is nice and heated up on the freeway far from home.
It's an E10. I used a 3/8-drive Craftsman ratchet and a 6" extension bar with a universal at the end. Works perfect.
Appreciate 0