View Single Post
      10-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #27
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

Good point Greenscape. When I had tire rack tires mounted on our Saab with 18" wheels, some of their recommended installers stated they didn't handle 18's, and even when I found a goodyear dealer that was competent, he asked that we wait a day till his best guy would be in so they wouldn't get abused by his usual guys. And this was in an urban area. Imagine how hard it'd be in a rural southern town where pickups are the norm. And runflats that are hard to mount on top of that. And in 18" sizes for many of us on top of that. Not much sidewall for the installer to work with, and a stiff one, I'm sure it would be a pain to deal with.

I just am not that lucky. I am sure I'd have a "situation" if I stuck with runflats.

I think runflats are a good idea if you use the car in a limited city area, but I just think they should have given you the option of a spare anyway. The net result of not doing so is that those of us who choose non-runflats and still want a spare now have about half a trunk instead of 90% of the one it has now if they'd have engineered in a space for a mini spare. I'm one who can work around it, but anyone carrying passengers would be hurting for space.

I wonder that if instead of runflats they spent the extra money they cost on improvements in "armor" in tire belts to prevent damage in the first place, it might be a better overall result.
Appreciate 0