View Single Post
      12-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #126
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke354 View Post
ok if i am worng please let me know Carbon is a direct result of the fuel air mixture burning in the combustion chamber.. there for by adding a stronger spark would in most cases burn more of the fuel witch in the long run would make less carbon...
I see what you are saying here, but that would pertain more to egr passageways, and not to the intake valve stems and backs of the valves. The combustion chambers and valve faces themselves are doing just fine on these motors. What is happening is that there is a lot of oil blow by in these motors from the pcv system that gets routed back into the intake tract leaving lots of oily residue in the intercooler, charge pipe, intake manifold, and then the bit that's making it's way back into the motor via the intake ports and valves is getting heated up and sticking to and coking up on the back of the valves, the valve stems and the intake plenums themselves. Pm me if you need me to explain it better, I might be able to google out a picture or something to help with the mental image.
Jeff
Appreciate 0