09-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvino
NOPE YOU ARE !! here http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...detector/2.asp

This is the first thing people usually screw up and it’s not really their fault. This is a bad idea for a couple of reasons. First off, the cop who is pointing the radar at you isn’t aiming it at your windshield, he’s focused in on your license plate or headlights. If you mount your radar detector up as high or in the middle of the windshield then you are not going to pick up some of the signal that the radar gun is throwing at you.

Secondly, why advertise the fact you have a radar detector? Sure they are legal in almost every state (sorry D.C. and Virginia) but most law enforcement personnel do not look too kindly on people with radar devices that essentially help them break the law. Also, your radar detector might entice thieves.

Another thing to consider is that the radar detector could be obstructing your view if it's in your line of sight, which is just dumb and potentially dangerous. So set it low as you can, either on the dashboard or the windshield, but be careful your wipers don’t obstruct it. This positioning will help tremendously, especially if you are being targeted by laser which has a smaller beam and is tougher to pick up.
Ok and all roads are perfectly flat. The higher it is the sooner it will pick it up in most cases. Plus radar is not like laser. Radar is a very wide beam and thats why it picks it up from any direction and from very far away. If the cop is aiming radar at your plate/lights and then turns it on its way too late buddy. But if your behind that car you will pick up the radar and will have time to slow. That is why police love LASER. It is nice and direct and does not spread so other cars dont pick it up that well.

I am not here to fight, nice write up, however I would never put it down low.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=hardwire
Appreciate 0