03-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #21
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC kid View Post
I'm no BMW Jedi, and those that know for sure; chime in, but I think ALL of us have a transmission oil cooler in the form of a heat exchanger system as shown below:

mesier1111: It's the oil cooler in front of the passenger tire wheel well that some are lacking.

I hit 260 deg. today when I decided to see how hot It would get by running the a/c in stop and go traffic...it was only 86 degrees out. I wonder what's going to happen when it's 110...

glowing turbos
You are correct. Manual and Auto cars have a transmission cooler. Some auto's have no engine oil cooler. All manual's have an engine oil cooler.

FWIW, 260F isn't bad; that's like 130C, so as crazy as it sounds you've got 40 more degress F until you even get a warning.

Tom; my car exhibits the same behavior - high speeds with air flow = higher temps than stop and go. Here is why I think that is:

The cooling system in this car is very sophisticated, one by product is the oil temp will move during normal operation. If this was an older designed car with a thermostat, the movement would tell you that the system is having trouble keeping a constant operating temp. which usually means trouble. This is NOT the case with the 335i. Software maps "look" for different driving styles and based on such determination, the head temperature is changed. The oil temp will have an inverse relationship to these changes. Another words, when the head is kept cooler, you'll see a higher temp. at the oil gauge.

So the oil temp will go up as the head gets cooler, which happens when the car goes faster for long periods of time. This probably explains why everyone who has had a heat related issue has had it when tracking (fast speeds, no a/c, lots of air flow) rather than stop and go with the a/c on, which will raise the coolant temp, rather than oil.
Appreciate 0