View Single Post
      09-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Super feedback, thanks chaps.

Phil - I surprised myself by thinking 'only' 35mpg (especially after being used to the impressive sight of 20-something on a good day in the M ), but I guess I started wondering what you could get out of the new lumps. BMW and VAG are pulling some mightily big numbers out of diesels these days, so I guess it's a compliment to them that I thought that!

Basically my budget is going to be 20/21ish, maybe 22 if I get a good price on the M3. Cash is real tight though (same boat as most ppl I guess) so I have to be sensible and disciplined. I'm not scared of mileage, mind, so that's one way to skin the cat, it'll be a little high if I stick this job out anyway so may as well start that way..

I have to confess to being one of the manual box fanboys. I'm not averse to a bit of paddle action, but I've always had fast cars with stick shifts and they tend to be cheaper if/when trouble comes to town. That said, grey hair and kids tend to slow you down a wee bit, and the temptation of an 'easy' option which I can still use paddles to stoke up if I'm out on my own is gradually taking over.

Great info on the dealer network above, too. I'd almost discounted them despite saving about 4k on the M3 when I bought it 4 years ago (and they shipped it down from Leeds for free - another hidden benefit of the dealer network), just presumed that these days they'd be offering stupid numbers on trade-ins and chasing sticker price on the forecourt. I'll definitely check them out, see what I can find.

Caught a lovely black E91 335d with lemon leather earlier at a trade outlet. High miles but looked mint - but was sold before I got to it, bah. It's got me properly in the mood to go fishing though...!!

Keep coming with the info, it's much appreciated and all good knowledge.
Appreciate 0