09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #88
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
Oh I totally get what the spacer would be used for - to sit higher in the intake tube. I just found that the new MAF fixed the fault for me completely and now the car is running great again.

So I'm just putting it out there that I was experiencing the IDENTICAL power surging issue (no power below 4K) and power surge exactly as the rev's hit 4K.

I also know that plenty of people were running fine with the AFE Stage 2 intake that had NO problems despite the MAF placement. So I'm just telling people that the MAF placement might not necessarily be the cause of this power-surge.

One way to tell is to disconnect the MAF and drive around.. if the surging stops... then it is likely a dirty or damaged MAF as it were in my case... so I doubt the spacer would help.

I found it weird that only a few people had this issue resolved with a MAF spacer while the majority of AFE Intake buyers had no issues whatsoever with the stock intake.

I would first THOROUGHLY check for Vacuum Leaks and then your MAF.. before opting for a custom spacer solution.

Just my experience.. hope this helps.
I'm not sure that dead between 1k and 4k is the typical afe symptom. For me mine was just not smooth in that powerband. For example accelerating smoothly in 1st would sometimes result in a violent buck or hesitation around 2k rpm... Kind of like I couldn't drive a manual correctly... Of course it wasn't me though. Adding the spacer 100% smoothed things out, but I wouldn't say the car is really much faster or slower as a result. Hope that helps explain it.
Appreciate 0