Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

See s. 7(1)(b)(i) of the Act that says:

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

The word "prescribed" means prescribed by the Regulations.

So looking at the Regs, here you go (s. 9(3) of R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 628):

Number Plates

9. (1) Evidence of validation issued for use on a number plate shall be affixed,

(a) where the permit is for a commercial motor vehicle, in the upper right corner of the number plate exposed on the front of the motor vehicle; and

(b) in all other cases, in the upper right corner of the number plate exposed on the rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (1).

(2) Despite subsection (1), a RUO sticker shall be affixed in the upper left corner of the number plate exposed on the front of the bus. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (2).

(3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

However, for some reason, I can't find out what the fine is for not having a front plate. Anyone?