View Single Post
      02-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
finickyEater
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - Montego Blue

Options for thread color change?

I really like the look of contrasted thread on leather and, after looking at the interior, the french seams are already there but just black on black. I'm mildy crafty and am pretty close to a DIY for some Alcantara-ish (probably go with Ultrasuede Milano) inserts and thought that could be a good opportunity look at the threading. At this point, I figure I have three options:

1. Just yank the threading out and re-run it through a sewing machine. Con: I'm assuming it won't be that easy since the new thread punctures won't mesh well with the old.

2. Dye/paint the thread? No idea if this is even feasible, but if so, it could be easy and cheap. Con: I would image anything I would do to the thread would happen to the leather.

3. Go from scratch and make full custom leather seats my self...Con: it will probably take me a year to practice and still look like crap :/ I know there's no replacement for professionals but I just don't have the budget labor costs.

BTW, any options over $1k are out of the question. Any thoughts/ideas that can creatively keep the budget down would be GREATLY appreciated.
Appreciate 0