View Single Post
      02-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #29
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Not true. At least through '08, 91 AKI is "recommended" and 89 may be used in turbo models and 87 in the 328i/323i.

From the '07 3 series manual:

Required fuel
Super Premium Gasoline/AKI 91
This gasoline is highly recommended.
However, you may also use gasoline with less
AKI. The minimum AKI Rating is:
> 323i, 328i/xi: 87
> 335i: 89.

Tom
Yeah, my manual says that too. The AA tune also comes with the stipulation that, where previously you could use 87, the advanced timing REQUIRES 91+ since the engine will no longer compensate with retarded timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
So cars can still Run 12 miles after 0 miles left sign comes. hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthony3210 View Post
I read some where that there's still 1 gallon left after the digital speedometer hits 0mpg. I wouldn't test it though.
A few weeks ago I was lazy and didn't feel like filling up on a few short trips. Long and short of it is, I hit the 0 miles range mark in the BC with another mile to go to the gas station. When I filled up, the car took 15.606 gallons. Theoretically, the tank is 16.1 gallons, leaving a half gallon or so extra at dead empty indicated.

If I had to guess, that's a limit probably designed to keep the fuel line outlet submerged under reasonable incline conditions. For example, in my dead-level parking space, there's plenty of fuel getting to the engine, but perhaps on a 30 degree incline in San Francisco, below .5gal there's no guarantee that the engine can actually get fuel to run.

But anyway, under good conditions, there's still enough fuel at dead empty to get a few miles.
Appreciate 0