View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
mdrivera
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 Deep Green Metallic

Car damaged by a dumpster-- Need advice

I was in Center City Philadelphia last night and had my car parked on the street. I came back after dinner and there was a dumpster on wheels rammed into the right rear door of my car. The crease on the side of the rear door stopped it from messing up the car too much but there is still damage-- the window and trim had scratches/chips, and the right rear door needs to be replaced.

Now my problem and where I am looking for advice: I called to get a police report and of course the police can't really do anything, although I think this is a huge liability issue (if my car wasn't there, the dumpster would have rolled into the middle of the street). There was only the dumpster company's name on the side--called them and they said that maintenance is the responsibility of the end user and they do not know who that is so I should just call my own insurance company. I have insurance but a high deductible and I don't want my premiums to go up since they are already astronomical. If this was my fault then I would have no problem owning up and paying for the damage but this was a dumpster that ROLLED down the sidewalk and into my car.

What can I do in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0