View Single Post
      03-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #98
TXWatchGuy
Habitual Line-Stepper
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe

Special thanks to Cn555ic for taking care of this for me last night, remote from Brooklyn... All the hype is completely justified.

Before, being in S was a bit more aggressive, held on to gears a bit longer, etc., but wasn't a huge difference between that and D. Enough to be noticeable, but not super drastic.

Now the difference between S and D is like having two different transmissions in the car. As Cn555ic said to me during the flash, D feels like you're pulling one long gear. It is very sedate. You will be in 6th by the time you hit 40 mph. But it feels more comfortable because you actually come out of the hole in 1st until about 3-5 mph and immediately hit 2nd, 3rd, 4th. It is smoother, relies on gear more than torque to get the car moving, and feels right at home in a luxury car.

Move over to S and things get crazy in a hurry. Gears are held a long time, upshifts are faster, but not hard. It's not like bumping up line pressure in an auto and the 1-2 shift makes your teeth hurt. It's just bam, next gear, no rpm "flare" before the next gear, it just goes. I would imagine it's about as close to DCT as you can get in an automatic. The rev matched downshifts are probably helpful to someone that actually likes taking fast turns, but I prefer straight lines and not stuffing my car into trees. lol

By the way, this was on my 100% stock car. I can only imagine the effect on a modded car is much more pronounced. My JB4 is coming in soon, so I'm interested to see how they'll pair up.

If you're on the fence about this one... Do it.
Appreciate 0