03-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
Having a X pipe is in my opinion the most retarded design ever made for an exhaust. What are the really advantages of a design that makes the flow to be altered and disrupted?

Go to your backyard and have to water hoses with water shotting at 100mph collide and see what happens.

Water and gases have some flow similarities, the flow of less resistance overrules. Why in the hell would you want a X pipe to disrupt and slow down flow?

Not to mention that whenever maintenance needs to be done the weight of both pipings are increased because the cat-backs are united.

If someone can please "explain" the benefits of a X pipe maybe I buy beer.

my .2c

I am with Vishnu on that, straight flow always overrules on turbo cars.

Carlos
Alright! Free beer!

This is a possible explanation concerning your fluid dynamics question. There is laminar and turbulent flow. X-over creates turbulent flow. Believe it or not, turbulent flow moves faster than laminar flow. This has been very well documented for flow kinematics. Thus the possible X-over design. I believe if there are fins arranged inside the tube to create a vortex, such as the spiral grooves in the gun barrel, exhaust may exit faster.
Appreciate 0