08-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #114
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Hmm, that's not quite correct, it may be in some instances but when hooked up USB the head unit reads the files and decodes them, doing a digital to analogue conversion.

If you use the aux input you are relying on the quality of the MP3 player, which in the case of the ipod is not very good, even from the line level.

That is why Alpine made such a big thing about hooking up usb as did Wadia with their dock.

I think the USB connector is far better than the aux, you need decent high bitrate files and anything less than L7 system probably won't show the differences though, but the decoding of the files seems pretty good with the factory usb option.
True if you use a usb stick/drive etc the car does the conversion, I did some tests and couldn't tell the difference myself but ymmv. I also found very erratic performance with 60GB of music getting it indexed, playlisted etc and crawled back to the ipod Was a year ago so things might be better and usb sticks are ok?

But to clarify if you use an ipod then you get a cable that comes out of the dock, the usb part carries out control and the line out goes via analogue, identical to what a non USB car would use, so if you wish to use an ipod in the car the sound will be the same whether or not it has usb?

All the usb does is allow you to control the ipod from steeringwheel, idrive etc.
Appreciate 0