335stepitup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
The market for fear is alive and kicking.

Here are some empirical facts.

1. The yearly or 15000 miles oil change (device-monitored) has been around for 15 years, and have been embraced at least by BMW, Mercedes and Porsche.

2. There is no indication whatsoever that their engines are less durable. NONE.

Bottom line; don't get excited by labs data that has probably NO RELEVANCE or meaning in the real world. I fully trust BMW, Mercedes and Porsche expertise; they would never take such a risk on their reputation. I am totally confident that they have large statistical data to support that their engines will reach 150 000 miles.

Spend your nerves elsewhere.
further the oil level/oil temp combo sensor also measures the density and conductivity(high metal content) of the engine oil thus enabling Condition Based Servicing.

On a tangent... some ppl it seems don't know the difference between "oil service due" and "oil level low" and complain when a quart or 2 of top up is req between services. Internal combustion engines consume oil, have done for a while...the more efficient they become the more oil they consume due to lower friction oil scraper rings and higher compression ratios and pressures etc. BMW specs up2 0.7l/1000km oil consumption and up2 1.5l/1000km on M engines with "normal" usage. Porsche stipulates up2 1.5l/1000km of usage, MB specs 0.8l/1000km and also 1.5l/1000km for AMG...so next time you get a top up oil warning, instead of whinging about a design characteristic that you should have read about or at least experienced unless you were living under a rock for the last 10 years or so lol sorry for the rant but have heard this complaint quite a few times and cringe every time I hear/read it.

Good luck with the challenge, personally I don't see it going anywhere, not with the small sample you have and the fact that possibly halve of the people that will join your campaign will have modified their cars in some way effecting the engine..including yours while you challenge an interval clearly meant for stock production vehicles.
E90 335 mtechnic steptronic, ca, activ steering, prof nav, logic 7,bluetooth,errb, titan silb/dakota black, brushed alu,Clear tail clusters, carbon grillz, splitters and rear diffuser, BMW Performance power upgrade, 20's, Chiplogic s/ware
Appreciate 0