View Single Post
      12-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Well the reason why you need to buy special ballasts is because most of the time, people are upgrading from halogen to HID.

Many halogen fixtures have a PWM signal on the power line to control the output of the halogen bulb. This PWM signal will kill HID ballasts because the signal outputs a square wave to control the bulb's brightness..... basically it turns the bulb on and off rapidly. So fast, you cannot see it. But the ballast does and they are affected by this....this is why sometimes people get flickering HIDs.

This is where coding comes in. You can code the car to xenon which will eliminate that PWM signal.

Now I'm not sure how the OP's setup is going to last since you can't remove the PWM signal from the angel eyes....at least to my knowledge. He coded out the errors in step 7, disabled the "soft illumination" feature (which is most likely a PWM signal) in step 6, and disabled the dimming (also a PWM signal, it's in the code name) in step 8.

But nothing was done for the way it lights the bulb continuously....again I'm not sure if you can code angel eyes to xenon.

I do know you can alter that PWM frequency so that the PWM signal is so fast, fluctuations in voltage are minimized, but that just hides the problem and a ballast failure in inevitable. It can be a week or 6 months before the ballast fails, but it will ultimately fail.
Appreciate 0