11-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #35
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider4 View Post
Took about 3 hours total time. Thanks to Technic for some help when I had a problem with a bad wire to the amp. By far the hardest part of the install was routing the power from the battery to the amp. I ended up going over the top of the trunk, using some 3/4" flex conduit for added abrasion protection, instead of across the floor as I originally planned. You need 9 feet of 4AWG for that and I didn't order long enough and had to buy a longer section of cable. Getting the trunk liner back in place is a bit of a struggle but not too bad. Other than that and the 20 minutes it took me to trace down the bad wire (bad crimp on connector?) to the amp and replace it, a very straightforward process.

My initial observations with the new SWS-8XI and the JL Audio XD600/6 amp are as follows:

1. Lots more base with the amp and SWS-8XIs
2. Slightly better FM radio clarity
3. HUGE improvement playing off Ipod or thumb drive. Wow, all the static and low quality sound I had with the stock set-up is GONE!
4. VP Electricity is right, I can now hear that the stock front speakers aren't so hot. It was hard for me to hear that before. The amp magnifies the flaws.

So, when I can sell the stock subwoofers and the HiFi amp on eBay I have a set of Rainbow 210.25NG SLC's in my future.

Thanks again to Technic for a great harness that made the amp install so much easier.
So you ended up going with the 2ohm 8Xi's on the JL Audio XD 600/6... that is the same setup that i'd like to do, but I've been reading mixed reviews on whether or not the 100watts/channel @ 2ohms the XD600/6 puts out may not be enough power to run the subs efficiently.

With a decent amount time passed since you have done this swap, what do you think of it? Much nicer/richer bass? Has the speakers held up to this amp's power well over time?
Appreciate 0