View Single Post
      03-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
nc1mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red e90 335i Sport

aluminum bolts

See my post #29
My parts came this morning from ECS Tuning , very happy with the service and the parts $602 total for h20 pump, thermostat, 1 gal of coolant, replacement bolts and $81.74 for next day air...

A note of caution: The replacement pump was just like the author's and has with no vibration isolators. The issue is the mounting flanges are shorter (less thick) so now top bolt now bottoms out before the pump is snugged up to the engine block. Its not very loose maybe a thread or so, but the bolt does bottom out. The fix is to cut 1/8" of the bolt that goes into the top position. use a Dremel or what have you I used a hacksaw. If you trim it before hand it will save you some frustration.

I also took the time to clean my intercooler both inside and out. For the inside I first drained out about 2 tablespoons of oil. Then used good ol' gasoline, maybe a cups worth and let it sit then swished it around , repeat. Then I followed it up with liberal does of simple green and water to remove the last of the residue. I let it sit on end to drain. For the outside simple green and high pressure water. The intercooler looks like new, hopefully it will perform better too.
Appreciate 0