View Single Post
      12-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Don't buy new. As other have stated, BMW's depreciate very rapidly. With a new body style coming out before you know it, the value of the current models is set to plummet even more.

You won't regret going CPO. You let the first guy take the huge loss for you, you're covered if things break, and you can look around and find exactly what you want for the price you're comfortable spending instead of paying top dollar for every little feature and dealership fee.

There are several reasons these cars do not hold their value. One of them is the fact that they are so damn expensive to fix after the warranty is gone. Factor this into your decision making, and find a beauty with low miles and lots of warranty left. I also wouldn't plan on owning it for 5-7 years. I'm planning to be rid of mine when it hits 75k because I'm learey of the expenses that will likely start to crop up as it gets older.

I'm not sure where you are located, but consider buying in Cali or Florida where there are tons of these cars around. Those markets are significantly more saturated, and prices are much better. A car that would go for 45k where I live (PA) could very well go for 35k in one of those places, where they are a dime a dozen compared to this area where I have only ever seen maybe 4 or 5 other 335's on the road. Myself and one of the other doctors at work have E9x 335's, and I think I've only ever seen 3 or 4 of them in person. Not kidding. They mark them up here, as I imagine they do in other places where they are less common.

That said, if you want a 328xi sedan, this is the place to buy. They are everywhere you look, and this market is saturated with them.
Appreciate 0