02-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
986s
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dealer completed work without authorisation

Hi Folks,

After a bit of advice really.
Had the dreaded red steering lock icon for a few days on the dash. Parked the car at work one night and went to it in the morning and found that it would not start, therefore necessitating it (2007 335i) to be towed to nearest BMW dealer. Day later received call to say steering column needed replacing and total cost was 1,100 euro's. I replied that I was not happy with this as it was a known common issue and my car was main dealer supplied, FSH etc and to apply to BMW for goodwill for the parts cost (happy to pay labour). I gave the ok to order the part but not fit until BMW came back with a decision on the goodwill claim.
Two days later received a text saying car was ready, cost was 1,100 euro's, car would not be released until this was settled and BMW had not came back to them yet re the goodwill claim.
Couple of questions?
What are my chances of getting a goodwill claim (car out of warranty) for this known issue?
What are my rights as I did not authorise any work to be done on the car until a response was received from BMW?

Any help much appreciated.
Appreciate 0