Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F15 35d

Garage List
2000 E39 M5 Dinan  [0.00]
2017 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Can't tell for sure, but if your routing has "low points" in your hoses, then this presents a possible problem with fumes condensing and liquid building up in those low points and constricting, and possibly blocking, crankcase venting. This would be a deeply suboptimal situation.
I tried to be cognoscent of this, but with such long runs and a only a few inches of "height" difference between the two 90* elbows, it's nearly impossible to have constant slopes with no hi/low points. I'll be keeping a close eye on it for any blockages, and monitoring the catch can regularly to ensure that it's collecting oil at a fairly constant rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernoob View Post
Um. I'm a noob. Fell me in please... The purpose of the catch can is what and where does it get installed?
The purpose of a catch can is to separate out the oil vapor that is part of the crankcase ventilation system. In these diesel engines the oil vapor combines with the soot from the EGR system to form hard, nasty carbon buildup in the intake system. By removing the oil vapor from the crankcase air before it gets to the air intake, it will help prevent much of the carbon buildup.
Appreciate 0