Thread: LSD
View Single Post
      10-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #30
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

I've had a Quaife in my 130i, and broke a Drexler in my 135i. I'm currently running a Wavetrac in my 135i.

Quaife: I was happy with it and it was only $700 to install (Precision Gearbox Repairs, Brisbane). The 130i had a bolted ring gear so it would be similar in labour to a bolted 135i/335i.

Drexler: Clutch type that needed maintenance. After the first fluid change (at 20,000) the fluid was black, and the diff started making noises. Probably should ahve changed teh diff fluid sooner, but its hard in that car! The diff was busted at the drag strip quickly soon after. The authorised dealer could repair it, but I wasn't keen on using it again because there is only one dealer in Australia (Sydney) and maintence is expensive! (4k in repairs + shipping costs). I felt like the traction was better compared to the wavetac - even though I was running the 3.46 gear ratio (cf 3.08 stock).

WaveTrac: Reasonably priced (I purchased the entire pumpkin, which was $3500USD shipped) and it took another few hundred to switch it in. Low maintenance and strong! It is noisy when you put it into gear though.

Finned Backing Plate: If you manufacture a reasonably priced finned backing plate (with drain hole), I'd be interested. But there are a few different sized pumpkins, and they would all required different sized backing plates.

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0