Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damadama View Post
I'd find whatever u need in writing somewhere and go back to them with a more firm approach.

I think its absolutely absurd that they only schedule oil changes every 15k miles and yet they advertise zero maintenance cost for oil changes up to 50k miles. Do they really think its good to run engines 15k on no oil change? Most other manufacturers seem to recommend like every 5k and I know lots of ppl that want to do them every 3k.
This topic has been beaten to death!
We are not driving a Ford or Toyota.
We are not running these engines with regular oil.

We are driving a BMW with VANOS with fully synthetic oil.
Do you know that the next oil change is calculated by how you actually drive your car? It's not a random number. I don't know if BMW changed the method but it used to be an algorithm based on the average MPG. The better the MPG the longer the interval--the lower the shorter. This makes sense.

I am a statistician for the Department of Defense and I perform statistical analysis on items used out in the fleet to see when the appropriate interval is to calibrate.
I'm sure the same has been done with BMW.
If they have determined that a 15k oil change is sufficient then I have no problem with that.

If you do have a problem with this then you have every right to change the oil yourself and pay for it yourself.

Sometimes I determine that a calibration interval for a test instrument is 36 months, but if people want to calibrate it every 18 months then that's fine. They are just wasting money since there's no need.

Yes, I agree that if you are tracking your car on a regular basis then it's a good idea to change more frequently but for a daily driver, it's fine.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0