View Single Post
      07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #64
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

A lot of wise words in this thread. I've enjoyed reading every post here.

I can relate to how you're feeling. My parents have been unemployed for years and opportunities just didn't seem that ripe from where I came from (Rowland Heights, CA). However, I worked hard with the encouragement of my family, got into a good business school (UC Berkeley), and landed a job at a technology investment bank. It was through perseverance and confidence without attitude that got me to where I am today.

As someone said, success is relative and comes in different ways. I truly agree with this statement. Some classify success as financial independence while others think of success as being content with life. I was 22 when I landed my investment banking gig and was probably making more than 98% of people my age in US, but I wasn't feeling truly happy. I wanted to make an impact by doing something I truly love (working at a startup or some sort) that could make a lasting impact in the world. Money may provide the means to being happy (being able to live, eat, driving a nice car), but it doesn't bring true happiness from within. I speak that from experience.

I hope I shed some light for your situation and I would recommend making a few changes:

- First immediate change I would do is to change your car if you can sell it a reasonable price and get something more affordable.
- Second intermediate change is to finish your degree.
- Third long-term change is to find a job you truly love, while keeping family at heart. Your wife may need to get another job to support the new child. This is just personal opinion, but you should have planned the second kit better.

Work hard, then you can play hard.
Appreciate 0