United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpotato View Post
Thanks guys, just finished downloading (seeding now). Next step -->code
Quick question, does updating nav this way voids the warranty (if in case i brick the system)

Badpotato loves ya all!!!
I responded via PM but I'll post here for the benefit of all.

It technically doesn't void the warranty.

Updating the maps via USB is the standard way BMW updates the maps on vehicles. The only thing non-official is the unlock code, it's being generated outside of BMW's dealership network (hence the reason the cost is much lower).

With that being said, there have been a few instances where updating the maps has bricked a navigation unit. Sometime this was because the navigation units were from MY09 cars and MY09 cars required a software update in order to update maps over USB. Other times is just because the navigation unit had problems to begin with and the map update just triggered the problem.

However, if it's under warranty, you should be able to take it to the dealer and have it taken care of as long as your dealer aren't complete tools. You could just play the role of the dumb consumer and say your navigation stopped working or something.

If you don't have a MY09 car, then you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you do have a MY09 car, you'll need to make sure you have had your iDrive software updated at some point before attempting to update the maps.

While updating maps is a simple and easy process with a 99+% success rate, updating software on anything (computer, phone, car navigation) has a small chance of failure.
Appreciate 0