02-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #24
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
There isn't a problem per se with using ECP. It's a rip off when a garage stick loads of margin on the products that aren't that good and their retail price reflects that. There are also better alternatives and cheaper alternatives to ECP often too.

Take a look at control arms for E9x on ECP. £90 a pop! A savvy buyer knows that TRW arms are the OEM arms and can be had for half that price and then some.

As for brakes, £170 odd gets you a full set of Bosch front discs/pads (348mm) which can't be much more than ECP prices. The pagids are particularly poorly reviewed on here due to warping, scoring issues.

With regards to spark plugs though, you're never going to beat ECP at £50-ish for a set of 6!

ECP is a business and they do have some great deals, but on some things there are better alternatives.

What are you buying that costs £400?
That's interesting, where would you buy the control arms from then?

I'm buying: Front discs and pads, Castrol 0W-30 oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter, 6 x glow plugs, 2 x rear shocks. Plus I need to budget for glow plug relay and brake pad wear sensor I think.

For peace of mind I want to do a major service as previous owner's serv history shows not the best quality stuff used and last service was just oil change. No evidence of fuel filter replacement. Rear shocks need replacing. Discs are warped (pagid I suspect!).

Nothing wrong with glow plugs that i know of - in that there's no warning lights and I don't have an OBD readout but again for peace of mind I'd like to replace them as the cars done 164,000 and no evidence of it in the service history.
Appreciate 0