View Single Post
      07-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #15
s420merc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 300c SRT8 , ML350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Paying the NY tax has nothing to do with where you work, it's because of where you're buying the car. You buy something in a state, you pay sales tax in that state unless it's tax laws state otherwise for particular scenarios (i.e. new car sales, etc.). If you drove to Maryland to buy a shirt, you're going to a pay a sales tax at the Maryland rate to buy that shirt, same principle. Your dealer just did a completely shitty job at explaining why the tax is the way it is. Most financial people at dealerships are completely useless when it comes to tax laws and you're better off researching how it works yourself so you know you're not getting screwed.

I had to deal with the same issue when I bought my Corvette, I bought it in a state which is not where I live. Because I chose (chose being the key word here no one forced me to buy out of state), I had to deal with 2 different sets of tax laws. Those laws vary from state to state which is why you are seeing a different scenario going from a NJ dealer to a NY dealer.

If you don't want to deal with it there's a simple fix, which is the ethical thing to do and the principle that really counts here , buy the car where you live. If you choose not to do that then be prepared to deal with it the right way.
Thats horse shit you pay the tax for the state you register your car in.
I can buy my car in CA and Register it in PA it only matters what state plate u are running. MY last car was bought in NY but i paid the 9% PA state tax for lease ps its 6% if u buy the car. To the OP you are getting scamed.
If they charge u 8.75% NYS tax u will get ripped for that cause in order to register your car in PA u will have to pay the PA tax then too which is 9%.

Oh also to the OP if you do lease the car in NY make sure that the BANK FEE You get charged is for PA call up BMWFS and ask what their PA bank fee is it varies sometimes from state to state.
I am leasing a ML350 on monday for my dad and NYS bank fee is 875 but the PA one is only 650.
Appreciate 0