08-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner
Biodiesel actually has superior lubricity to dino diesel. Adding small amounts of bio to dino diesel (1-2%) can significantly improve lubricity.

It is a very bad idea to use B100 in our cars.

The problem on our cars (with B100) is the use of the DPF and regen cycles. Read this article, which contains a very good explanation of the problem. Note that it was published by an organization that promotes biodiesel, so they don't have a hidden agenda: http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...ction-problem/]

Note the 2 problems; first, that biodiesel in too high percentages dilutes our engine oil. But - also pay attention to the second problem: that the bio that makes it to the sump interacts with additives and increases the possibility of engine wear.

BMW only warrants our engines for 5-7% bio (depending on the model year), anything beyond that won't be covered by BMW if a problem occurs.
+1. Pure Bio does provide a better lubricity vs regular or partially premixed up to 20% ulsd. Even 10% and up is unhealthy to many fuel systems. B100 will clog and destroy our fuel system with it's physical contents. I have't heard yet of any 100% optimized modern diesel fuel system to run B100 in a car/truck in NA. Unless it's custom.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0