View Single Post
      04-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #36
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
It may be a big number, but it's spread over a much narrower rev range, which in turn means the gearing must be long, which in turn means the torque to the wheels in gear is not that different from a 335i/535i.

Which in turn explains why the 0-60, 1/4 mile, track times are lower for stock 335i vs. 335d, and why modifying the 335d only makes it about as fast as the 335i.

I could be wrong of course, but I'd like to see opinions to the contrary supported by factual evidence.

Good for you. By his own admission, the OP seems to have some tranny issues.

I hope I don't make you die, it's not my intention. But claiming an automatic tranny is more enjoyable, it has got to be just a personal preference, and one that perhaps is not shared by the vast mojority of those who label themselves driving enthusiasts.

In the end, it's whatever floats your boat. Me personally, I would never buy an automatic car for myself. Therefore 335d/535d are excluded.

Sorry. I buy my cars for my own personal enjoyment, not the person I'll eventually sell it to.

Some good points, and I agree with you always buy what you like, I do.

The 'stick' comment was just something that makes us laugh in the UK, not meant as a serious dig, just light hearted banter.
I had a CSL until 2 months ago and that had SMG, and I still got people tell me that wasn't a real drivers transmission, if it isn't a manual it isn't a real gearbox. Sorry I just don't agree with that at all.
I can drive better with the step, one less thing to think about, I took a few manual 335i's out and just prefered it, as you say personal preference.
The manual is fine, but these are luxury German autobahn mile munchers we are talking about here, now a GT3 I would always buy in manual guise, until the DSG arrives of course.
Appreciate 0