View Single Post
      12-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If you are talking about an R8 , SLS Rival?

Not for a few years. BMW M know what they would like to do but in order to achieve it they have to let the CFRP production for the i3 and i8 achieve volume production so it becomes cost-effective and mass produced to bring out a more competitive , lighter concept at a competitve price ahead of the competition. Right now there is no business case because of the cost of materials at the current time.

BMW's significant investment in CFRP manufacturers when others were creating or raiding parts-bins for their "vanity" projects will be very beneficial in the next few years and the first benefactors will be BMW M.
One will be weight reduction and the other will be cost.

In the meantime i8 will be the headlining car of tomorrow, it is as they say the most progressive Sports car. It is not a sports car electrified like the SLS and R8. It is something entirely created from the ground up and that will be it's greatest advantage. An uncompromising view of the future, today.