11-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95325i View Post
The reason why the E9x xenons cost are so high is because the bulbs have the Ballasts attached to them. When the bulb is removed you will see a small box like shape at the base of the unit.

There is no need to replace the xenon bulbs unless they are no longer working. Unlike Halogen lights which slowly start to get dim over time xenon lights do not, they are designed to just about last the life of the car under normal usage.
The ignitor is attached to the bulb, not the ballast.

Be careful buying super cheap ebay HID bulbs because they might fry your OEM ballast. A lot of "Osram" and "Philips" bulbs on ebay (and other websites too) are fake, so buyer beware and do your research before shelling out hundreds of dollars for what might be fake Philips/Osram bulbs.

I personally bought the Morimoto 3FIVE D1S bulbs in 6000k from theretrofitsource on ebay. theretrofitsource is a very reputable seller in the HID retrofit community. Haven't had a problem with the bulbs so far.
Appreciate 0