United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by demontwinz View Post
i'm about to try tracking this year .. and post like this scare me. i'm also on jB4
Hopefully, my post can help you be better prepared for the track and ensure you can drive home at the end of the day. If I were doing it over again (with all the same mods), I'd:
- mix in race gas so I had a blend of 93 octane (or better)
- start the day using map 0 (no tune, no meth) and if I felt like i got to a point where I wanted a little more power, switch to map 5 (autotune, no meth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Sorry to hear OP, I'm not very familiar with the n54 but my experience tells me modded turbo cars are just not as reliable as their n/a counterparts or untuned motors. Have you considered replacing the motor but keeping her stock, and only keeping the cooling related modifications? Truth is even in stock form the n54 will hold its own on the track. You really don't need the extra hp. As long as overheating isn't an issue, only mods I'd really focus on are tires, brakes and suspension.
Right you are, but hindsight's 20/20. I knew what you're saying to be true even before I went to the track, which is why i was saving for a reliable, dedicated track car. I've been eyeballing Honda S2000's and maybe even a Lotus Exige or Elise. For now, though, I plan on doing exactly what you said - take the meth and tune out of the equation.