View Single Post
      06-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

When I first read about SMG. I thought it was definitely for me. I was even going to wait to get an E90 with it. Then I drove an E46 with SMG and was very disappointed.

I thought great, an automatic mode for my wife, and a manual mode for me. No torque converter. Yeah! Then I drove it. The automatic mode is terrible in the first few gears. Someone compared it to riding with a novice stick driver. Its intolerably lurchy. You need to sort of anticipate when the gear shifts are coming and lift off the accelerator to get any smoothness in the lower gears. And even then it still feels clunky. If I had an SMG I would never use it in auto mode.

As a manual it was okay, though I felt akward using it. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I couldn't help feeling that I would just prefer a stick shift. Unfortunately I didn't get to try any good high RPM shifts which is where it is really supposed to shine.

This is just my opinion. Some folks swear by the SMG. The bottom line though is definitely find some sort of BMW with SMG and try it before your order one on an E90.

- Collin
Appreciate 0