View Single Post
      01-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Chi-Guy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

Speaking from a home audio perspective only, there is an option. Just dont know if it can be implemented in a car or not.

First, let's identify the problem and the solution:

Problem: Apple iPhones and iPods use an internal DSP-based DAC that basically sucks. Even if you use lossless files, you still listen to them after Apple has done some super lame digital to analogue conversion.

Solution: two parts. 1) need to tap into Apple's digital data BEFORE it gets processed by the internal DAC. 2) need to take that pure digital data and then use a high quality, after-market digital to analogue converter.

How it is implemented in home audio: two ways. 1) use a dedicated iPod/iPhone transport like the Wadia i170 or 171 or an Onkyo transport (forget model number.) They are usually about $300. Then transfer signal to dedicated DAC of which there are hundreds of choices and start at $199 and go to over $10,000. or 2) use an all-in-one solution and I only know of two choices that tap direct digital signal and combine it with an internal DAC that is decent but certainly not the level of quality of MOST dedicated DACs.

Those two are:

1. HRT iStreamer - $199
2. Pure i20 Dock - $99

I use the Pure on my second home system (not dedicated basement rig) in my kitchen and the results are startling over iPod direct (headphone jack to RCA to preamp.) The question for mobile audio is how to implement this. The Pure solution would suck as you need a table to rest the transport. The iStreamer may work but, like the Pure, uses an external "wall wart" power supply. If this can be adapted to a cigarette lighter power source then you will be in business and just have to find a place to stash the small power supply in your car console.

Simply Google above products for pics.

Does that help?
Appreciate 0